SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:57:37 +1000
On  Monday, September 22, 2003 9:34 AM, Reef Fish wrote:

(snip)
> So, to give a topic that some of you DO KNOW something about ...
> to keep busy on your keyboards ...

> http://www.cyber-diver.com/cdbest.html
> had this to say about

> #> 2003 WORLD WORST 10 ECO DIVING
 > #> We rated the worst eco dive destinations based on the condition
> #> of marine habitats and government policies related to marine
> #> habitat  conservation.
 > #>  Australia
> #>  Florida

I'd be inclined to suggest that their conclusions are far from being, >
unbiased, authoritative and trustworthy evaluations of diving products and
services worldwide.<   Check out the advertising! :-)

I do seem to recall that in their early days, when they were seeking
sponsorships/advertising, (and from what I've seen, I've little reason to
doubt that their policies have changed in any way!)  they made a point of
only speaking favourably about organisations that supported them - and
always looked for ways of disparaging those places that didn't lend
financial support to their venture!  :-)

(From the page ..)
>HOW WE CONDUCT EVALUATIONS
>Our team of expert divers, who collectively have logged over 27,000 dives
worldwide, ...<

My team of expert divers who have collectively logged over 150,000 dives
world-wide disagree with their conclusions!!!  :-)))

To suggest that the Maldives is one of the Top Ten Eco Diving destinations -
or Fiji for that matter - is a big claim!  There may be attempts to put in
place conservation programmes in those countries, but they're nowhere near
the magnitude - nor do they have the same amount of government backing - of,
say, those measures in place in Malaysia and Australia.

It's such a meaningless, self-interested survey that it's not even worth
getting hot under the collar over.  Just pity them for their lack of
knowledge and objectivity.  :-)

Strike