SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:46:32 -0400
Ikan gasped:

>Strike was right in THIS case -- that a COURSE in ice-diving would
certainly help those who ain't done it to get properly ORIENTED as
to what it's all about.<

What happened to using your head then? A course???

>For starters, ice-diving IS the most EXTREME cold-water diving!!<

Absolutely not.

>let me explain it to Mika first, because he is a 'ferner who is still
making slips about the English language -- and he did in this case.<

Ahh, let;s see ...

>What distinguishes COLD from warm or how measures COLD is temperature ...

Ohh, so this is English. I see. In which country? I love it, 'how measures
cold is temperature"???

Eees ferrin speak?

>Okay, now that we've get past that first hurdle, the next step is to
realize that ICE DIVING is different from ALL other forms of diving
you and Mika know -- expecially in recreational ice-diving.  The
protocol calls for a TENDER for YOU, and you alone, at all times
(less than 100 feet away -- you all missed that part didn't you?).<

Dat's vot da instructor told ya. No reason at all to dive under ice like
that. An ice dive can also be treated as a cave dive. With a simple use of
a line.

>If ANYTHING goes wrong, or seem to go wrong, you JERK (okay, you signal
in a proper way) to let the tender know to PULL you out of there!<

Right, that's how they do it in the courses. The clueless jump in, swim
around, get disoriented ... and panic. Pull, pull, pull. Oh, someone pulled
me back to the hole! Wheeeww. I'm still alive.

You are right. Total idiots can go ice diving, they have a tender, after
all. This is definitely extreme diving. No matter how bad you fuck up, the
tender is always there.

>It's ALL immaterial -- in ICE diving, because you're ALWAYS within a
pull and short distance from the ICE HOLE, tethered to a PERSON
whose sole purpose/attention is to TEND to you when needed.<

Now that really does sound extreme. It is cold, I'm an idiot, but someone
will pull me back to safety.

>Sabe now, Tonto?   :-))

Yup, know what you consider 'extreme' now.

Wiesel