SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 06:50:47 +1000
On Thursday, September 04, 2003 9:26 PM, Lee Bell wrote:

> Speaking of scuba, is everybody aware that Halcyon has applied for a
federal
> trademark on the letters DIR, relating to pretty much everything to do
with
> diving and dive and snorkeling equipment?

Seems like smart business sense to me.  :-)

DIR - as opposed to D.I.R., or even 'doing it right' (in lower case) - has
commercial value.  But it in no way alters or changes the need to 'do it
right or don't do it at all'!  :-)

(I was once a member of an association of diving instructors,  called the
Professional Association of Diving Instructors, or P.A.D.I., whose structure
was changed for commercial advantage to became PADI - of which I am still an
emeritus member!)  :-)

>As obnoxious as George can
> sometimes be, those of us who have been following the progress of DIR
diving
> are not real pleased to see Robert Carmichael claim the term for his own
> use, particularly when he's been known to put the letters on some very
> non-DIR pieces of equipment.

Sadly, many people equate doing it right (let's say DIR) with equipment and
equipment configuration and neglect, or ignore completely, the more
important aspects of the concept. :-)

>This may be the death of DIR as a model of
> excellence for the dive industry.

I doubt it!  The underlying philosophy that the term encapsulates will, for
some of us, always exist.  The military and commercial diving fraternities
have been practicing it for years and I see no reason why it shouldn't
remain a concept that thinking recreational divers also continue to strive
towards. :-)

>Quite a few former DIR advocates have
> already gone back to the old Hogarthian term for the equipment
configuration
> that has done so much to revolutionize both technical and recreational
> diving.

I tend to question the term 'revolutionise'?  It seems to me that it's more
of a natural progression based on models used successfully in other diving
disciplines. :-)

I'm presently sitting in on the latest round of G.U.E. courses taking place
in Sydney with Andrew G. (JJ arrives tomorrow), Martin Lorenzo and Gideon
Liew Instructing.  Yesterday, at the kitting-up session - and the only
person using a single-cylinder 'cause I was acting as the course u/w
videographer (an exciting tale in itself!<bwg>) - the only people to
criticise my packing a collapsible snorkel into my backplate's pouch were
three of the twin-cylindered, dry-suit clad, HID-light toting students. Once
I'd explained my reasons for always carrying a snorkel in the open ocean -
and added a piece to the effect that if they worked hard at learning they,
too, might one day be allowed to advance to wearing a wet-suit - they
accepted my decision.  None of the instructors queried or quibbled it, or
suggested that it was non-DIR!  :-)

Sadly, there are too many mindsets that equate DIR with brand-name
equipment.  Having the most appropriate equipment is important; a
standardised system of configuration is equally so; but more important is
the accompanying mind-set.  In that regard, the registration of the
name"DIR" is inconsequential and doesn't impact one jot on the concept!
:-)))

Strike