SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:54:06 +1000
On Thursday, September 18, 2003 10:10 AM, Lee Bell wrote:

(snip)

> > I don't know whether or not you've got everything backwards, but it's
not
> > joke.  The rubber stockinette 'frogmen' suits that we were issued were
> worn
> > for extended periods, (adding a 'P'-port was an essential!) and had to
be
> > sufficiently close fitting to allow for running - usually away from
Royal
> > Marines and Pongoes that we may have inadvertently insulted by saying
> > something like, "Bootneck bastard, can't catch me!"   :-)

> OK, there's obviously at least one version of a drysuit that I didn't even
> know existed.  From the description, it sounds quite snug and, I presume,
> warm.  Why isn't this preferable to the membrane suit, or is it?

G'Day, Lee!  It is/was a membrane suit and theoretically allowed the wearer
to vary the amount and type of undergarments worn in accordance with the
temperature.  I say 'theoretically' because it's greatest drawback was that
it was a neck-entry suit, with the neck-seal, (and optional attached latex
hood) held in place by an oval metal ring and clamp.  Three types of
under-garments were issued; the first was similar to thermal underwear that
mountain climbers wear - I got Sylvia to dye mine purple and add primrose
piping!  The second was a white wool, button-up whole suit with wooly
booties; and the final - and most important undergarment was a blue, zip-up
suit with attached booties and thick shoulder pads to prevent the neck ring
chafing the collar bones.  The layering principle worked well - none of the
items was particualrly bulky and it was always possible to add an extra bit
of clothing, like a tight-weave wool jumper, if cold became an issue. But
the top-suit was a 'must' if you wanted to avoid bruised and abraded
collar-bones.  :-)

The fabric of the suit itself offered little, if any, thermal protection.
Suit inflation was via a small cylinder slung horizontally across the body
at just below navel height so that it didn't interfere with whatever
breathing set was being used, held in place by a light webbing harness and
plumbed into the suit through a small, goose-necked, screw-in adapter.  This
could be easily removed when not diving and a plug cap screwed over the
adapter to preserve water-tight integrity.  There were no exhaust valves,
and venting excess gas was best accomplished through the wrist or neck
seals, (if the full hood wasn't being worn.)  The latex hoods had a rubber
duck-billed valve on the top rear.  Not a good look - and not warm anyway!
Neoprene hoods were generally favoured.

Nevertheless, they were extremely comfortable to wear; well and close-cut,
and easily maintained and repaired with nothing more complex than a bicycle
tyre repair outfit!  :-)

Strike