SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:17:32 -0700
--- Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Did you compare it to a 'new' old style undersuit or
> to your own old
> undersuit? I would expect a new suit with undamaged
> fibres to be better.
>
> What is the theoretical difference? Improved
> Thinsulate?

That's a fair question. But my "old" (400g thinsulate
and Weezle) had relatively little use, so I don't
think there was much of a wear and tear factor. But it
is a subjective opinion on my part, certainly.

I recall when DUI announced the 400g "Ultra", there
was a claim of improved warmth due to the materials
used. I can't find a reference to that on the DUI
site. But a feature is that the price actually went
down, from about $470 or so retail to $400!

I also remember some threads (probably on cavers) with
quite a few folks noting the improved warmth with the
new 400g. The cavers archive seems to be down, so I
can't search for the references.

So it is a subjective opinion based on my observation
that my Weezle Extreme plus was warmer in 48 degree
water than my old 400g DUI garment. The "old" DUI
garment was sold with less than 10 dives on it.

The second subjective comparison is between my "new"
400g garment vs the Weezle. The Weezle probably has
less than 30 dives on it.

So my summary subjective comparisons are that the new
400g is warmer than my Weezle which is warmer than my
old 400g. All of them are warmer than my 200g (which
actually does have probably a 100 dives or better. The
200g is way warmer than my DUI polartech, which I
essentially never use and probably should sell on
ebay.

David H.