SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
Carl Heinzl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:17:31 -0400
In addition to weight - that is, the insulative properties, when
choosing what
thermal protection to use, it's important to consider how well the material
will protect you in the event of a flood.

As faras I remember, Polartec doens't retain its insulative properties very
well when totally soaked, however, thinsulate retains somewhere in the
neighborhood of 80% of it's dry insulative value.

Of course, you will still have that initial thermal shock if you flood since
your body will have to heat up the cold water that entered the suit,
but eventually you will stabilize.

If my numbers are a bit off, I'll leave it to others to correct them.

Carl