SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:45:13 +1000
On Wednesday, September 17, 2003 6:09 PM, Poe Lim wrote: - in response to
Lee:

(snip)

>>  In fact, I was under the impression
> > that, even with the cave cut suit, a diver required more lead to offset
> the
> > buoyancy of the gas in the suit to prevent squeeze.  Was I mistaken?

> The answer is: it depends. I know of several divers that use less lead
with
> a membrane suit than a 7mm, and feel as warm, but the amount of lead used
is
> a function of how much air you have in the suit, which is a function of
how
> much warm you need to be. All passive undergarments work to reduce loss of
> heat; none generate heat (I'm discounting those with heating wires etc, by
> the use of the term passive). Most garments trap heat by using air as
> insulation, so the more air, the more bouyancy. There is also the issue of
> air trapping, hence more weight used to offset that; those who don't have
> that problem don't need as much weight.

G'Day, Poe!  It was good to see you and Cynthia yesterday, (two-minutes
earlier and I'd have bought you both coffee!) and as we're both aware, a
dry-suit is only good when it's dry!  Regrettably - and it seems to me to be
more of a problem with neoprene than with the tougher tri-lams - some
so-called drysuits often aren't!!! :-)

(I know the guy concerned appreciated your offer to borrow yours - but it
still come down to the fact that neck seals particularly, (Reds and greys
are always an option with wrist seals) have to be trimmed to each particular
user!)  :-)

Have a great holiday break and let's catch up again for a dive when you get
back - I think Huw might be here by then and it's an obvious occasion for
getting out the Phyco-Plonk!  :-)))

Strike