SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2003

From:
Lee B ell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:17:24 -0400
David Strike wrote:

> 1. Anyone who needs to do a course in solo diving is relying on somebody
> else to teach them the principles.  This suggests to me that they lack the
> necessary confidence in their abilities and knowledge to go solo diving.
>
> 2. I also tend to wonder about the practical criteria?  Presumably - for
the
> course to make sense - there's no-one with you in the water.  In which
case,
> simply surfacing alive and well after a dive is all that's required.)
:-)))

Your first reason is, in my opinion, sufficient.  I've always been of the
opinion that if you had to ask if you were ready, you probably aren't.

It's been a while, but I've looked at some of the course information.  I
don't remember whether it included a dive requirement, but I do recall that
it addresses things like redundant gas supplies, self rescue, and the like.
The proof of any course is what you actually learn from it, so I can't say
that this one is or is not any good.  I can say that the topics make sense,
but that they are also the kinds of things that a diver seriously
considering solo diving should already know.

If I ever manage to find somebody to give me the course at a time when I can
take it, I'll let you know what  I thought of it.  So far that has not
happened.

Lee