HP3000-L Archives

August 2003, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:18:26 -0700
Donald N. Frantum wrote:
> Is anyone aware of performance issues or security issues with Samba on an
> HP3000.  We currently have a N4000 that is behind a firewall.  Our
> application provider is telling us that we need SAMBA to serve up .jpg
> files, but that it was ill advised as SAMBA causes performance issues on
> the HP3000 and that it has security issues.  Any insight is appreciated.

For best Samba performance you want to run the JSMB job instead of running
Samba under INETD.  As a separate job, you can run SMBD in whatever dispatching
queue (CS, DS, ES, etc) is appropriate for your machine.

Make sure your Samba content is stored as MPE bytestream files.  You will pay a
performance penalty if you are using MPE record-oriented file types.

Samba on MPE is no more or no less secure than Samba on any other platform.
Follow good Samba security practices by disabling guest access (all versions of
Samba on MPE) and enabling encrypted passwords (Samba 2.2.8a on MPE).

For more information about Samba 2.2.8a on MPE, please see:

http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/samba/
Remainder of .sig suppressed to conserve expensive California electrons...