HP3000-L Archives

August 2003, Week 4

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:52:14 -0500
Hans,

  We have several customers which do business over the Internet using
web applications, accessing their HPe3000-based information.  Instead
of using a web server on the 3000, they access their data via an ODBC
driver.  In this case, the only access of the 3000 is from the
customers web servers, and only on the ODBC ports.  That is easily
locked down via a firewall.

  On the other hand, there is no reason (technically that is :) that
your customer's web-bureau can't write their application such that
"it" is the one making the actual Apache http request of the
3000 instead of simply referring to it in the HTML.  In other
words, instead of writing an HTML page referencing the perl script
on the 3000 (i.e. <a href="http://hp3000/somescript.pl">), they
could reference another web-bureau based page which itself
initiates the perl script query and simply returns the results
of that query to the requesting user.  The technique to do that
depends on what the web-bureau is using (we normally use MacroMedia's
Cold Fusion application server, and in that case it would be
the <CFHTTP> tag that gets the remote web page results).  The
benefit in doing it that way is that you again know that the
only legitimate (outside) accessor of the Apache web server
on the 3000 is from the web-bureau's web servers (you can
even change the port(s) used as well), so you can use a firewall
to block all other access.

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies