HP3000-L Archives

August 2003, Week 3

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:40:40 -0700
Ron Horner wrote:

> Here is something to consider.  I was not at HP World, but I
> have heard
> stories from people who were.  The stories center around the
> feeling that
> Interex has moved away from the MPE users.  If this is truly
> the case, maybe
> OpenMPE should run the MPE portion of HP World.  It could be
> a subset of HP
> World, or on it's own.  If this is something that you want to see, let
> Interex know.  At the same time, become a member of OpenMPE
> and give THEM
> your support.

In fairness, let me be the first to say that Interex was in no way in
control of this HPWorld. The heavy hand of HPQ was to be seen everywhere.

Interex has moved away from MPE users in the same way that MPE users have
moved away from Interex and HPWorld and HP. Of the over 5000 attendees, less
than 100 indicated an interest in MPE. Dave Wilde's kickoff had only about
40 non-HP attendees. The "Customer Needs" panel was about the same. SIGMPE
had maybe 30 people tops and SIG IMAGESQL had only a dozen or so.

What does this say? I guess it says that HPWorld no longer meets the needs
of the thousands of MPE users still out there. There are several ideas in
the works, some supported by Interex and some independent, to try to
discover and better meet these needs. Time will tell what happens.

John

* John Burke MA, MS, CDP     Email:  [log in to unmask] *
* Burke Consulting           Phone:  (916) 987-0265            *
* 7224 Pine Grove Way        Cell:   (916) 337-0425            *
* Folsom, CA 95630           Web:    www.burke-consulting.com  *