HP3000-L Archives

August 2003, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 20:47:16 -0500
 Michael Berkowitz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Forget about H1-B.  Forget about Indian, Vietnamese, Russian, etc.
: outsourcing.  Programmer doom has arrived.  Lucky I had five years
: working at McDonalds's in high school/college, I'm set for life.

Don't be too sure about that...

   http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/08/01/leisure.mcdonalds.reut/index.html
   CNN.com - McDonald's new high-tech burger flipper - Aug.  1, 2003

  "CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- High-tech jobs may be moving overseas
   but one low-tech job Americans could always fall back on was flipping
   burgers at McDonald's.

   That could change in the not-too-distant future. Later this year, a
   Chicago-area McDonald's restaurant will fry up hamburgers with an
   automated grill that dispenses patties directly onto the griddle from
   a separate freezer compartment, reducing labor and promising fresher
   sandwiches.

   The newfangled equipment, developed in Sweden, is just one of several
   futuristic concepts the world's largest fast-food company is testing
   at its Romeoville, Illinois innovation site.

   Experimenting with automation

   McDonald's is also experimenting with automation to increase the
   amount of french fries it can produce during the busy lunch rush.
   Electronic kiosks that let customers key in their own orders have
   already moved beyond the lab into actual restaurants in two U.S.
   markets, and will be evaluated for broader use at year-end.

   None of the new concepts is yet slated to become permanent, but change
   itself appears to be the mantra of McDonald's executives, who are
   attempting to revitalize the fast-food giant with everything from a
   healthier menu to in-store Internet access and hip-hop commercials
   promoting Big Macs..."

: The rest of you, see you on skid row.
:
: http://www.newtechusa.com/PPI/main.asp
:

Who'll represent these new programmers, the SPCA ?

: Doom and gloom
: Mike Berkowitz
: Guess? Inc.
:

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)
  Note: [log in to unmask] is invalid for email

 "Microsoft:  The "Would you like fries with that" of the IT profession."