HP3000-L Archives

August 2003, Week 1

From:
James P Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 02:14:19 GMT
Hello all @ 3000-l,

RE: response time problem using Reflections or qcterm

I have a wireless air card that allows me to
connect to the internet and then VPN to our
network and connect to the HP3000.  My problem is
the speed at which the system responds to key
strokes.  It literally takes 7 or more seconds the
type HELLO.  What I don't understand, is that I
can surf the internet and get decent download
speeds but just the terminal emulators seem to dog
it.  Anyone else have this problem?

I use the NTEL VPN over a BellSouth DSL link with a Linksys router
 (wireless and wired).  I have seen better performance with NS-VT than
 Telnet, but with both I see cases where the performance of the WRQ
 Reflections terminal connections to the MPE systems varies
 significantly as well as the above mentioned case of the
 mal-performance of the initial 'HELLO' with Telnet.

The test that has already been mentioned is a ping to the MPE system
 from the DOS prompt...

 Ping -n 100 aleta.atl.hp.com

I tested my DNL connection and found 96 of 100 were successful with 4
 cases of "Request timed out".   If this is similar to your
 results/experience then you will want to evaluate your TCP timers on
 the MPE system and "minimize" the "Retransmission Interval Lower
 Bound" to the lowest value (1) to support the fastest retransmission
 possible for the 4 out of 100 packets lost in the case of a TCP
 connection.

I set my TCP connection timers to the following to support the best
 possible performance for my Telnet and NS-VT connections to MPE
 systems over my DSL link:

[1  ]     Retransmission Interval Lower Bound (Secs)
[360  ]   Maximum Time to Wait For Remote Response (Sec)
[2  ]     Initial Retransmission Interval (Secs)
[8  ]     Maximum Retransmissions per Packet

I hope this helps.

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!