UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Gregory O'Dea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gregory O'Dea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:05:03 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

Over the past two years, the University Honors (UHON) Program has sponsored
an effort to provide UTC faculty members with an additional means of finding
competent student assistants. Thanks to a grant from the UC Foundation, we
are able to renew our student assistantship program for 2003-2004. So, if
you are a faculty member in need of an honors student to help with your
research or to perform any academic-clerical work, I invite you to complete
a simple, one-page interactive application available at:

http://cecasun.utc.edu/univhon/studentassistant.pdf.

(You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete this document.)

The deadline for applications is September 2.

It might be helpful to know that we received 36 applications from faculty
last year, and that we funded thirteen of them for two semesters each. Some
examples:

Sarah Grigsby, who worked for Professor Alan White, Art, preparing
exhibition publicity and digital imagery for the Cress Gallery.

Rob Craven, who assisted Professor Jonathan McNair, Music, in preparing a
digital inventory of the University's collection of Music CDs.

Jason Camp, who assisted Professor Joe Wilferth, English, with research
connected to the publication of a new textbook on composition and rhetoric.

Sonja Petrovic, did some computer software analysis and programming for
Professors Joe Dumas and Andy Novobilski, Computer Science.

Robert Trail, who assisted Professor Yeou-Fang Hsieh, Mechanical
Engineering, with some laboratory maintenance related to research on
synthetic ulnae.

Jessica Dillard, who assisted Professor Jane Reagor, Human Ecology, with
digital presentations and web site design for classes on Interior Design.

Taylor Loy, who prepared research questionnaires for Professor Paul Watson,
Psychology, for several projects on the psychology of religion.

If you submitted an application last year, and yet were not provided with an
assistant, I want to especially encourage you to reapply this year.
According to the stipulations of the UCF grant, faculty members who received
assistants this past year are ineligible to apply again for this coming
year.

Thank you all for your interest.

Greg O'Dea

University Honors Program

--
Dr. Gregory O'Dea
UC Foundation Associate Professor of English