UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Janet Spraker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Spraker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:37:51 -0400
To: UTC Faculty, Staff & Students

The Engineering, Math, and Computer Science building on Vine Street will be
open for business after a two-year construction process. (Not to mention a
20-year wait for funds) We've been installing furniture, moving offices,
classrooms, and laboratories since May.  The College of Engineering &
Computer Science, Math Department, and CECA are in their new digs.  The
expansion to Lot 10 at the new building is nearly complete, but paving may
be delayed by the heavy rains this week.  Look for a contingency parking
plan on a separate posting.

The University Center project will have a limited re-opening next week.  An
all-new food service operation will open its doors along with the UC
offices.  We'll be opening the entrance on Vine Street (across from Brock)
and those on the east side (across from Grote and Holt).  Coming
soon......the Bookstore will be outfitting and moving to their new space on
E. 5th Street (near Holt) sometime in October.  And last but not least, the
new expansion will be complete at the beginning of 2004, with a 2-story
entrance gallery from Lansing Street, a 300-seat auditorium, a renovated
game room, and a brand new 100-station computer lab among other goodies.  So
you'll still see a mess around E. 5th Street and across from Maclellan Gym
for a while, but the end is in site!

Race Hall is just about finished and occupants are due to move back in
mid-September.  The new and improved Race Hall will be home to Records &
Registration, the Graduate School, Grants & Program Review, and Personnel
Services.  The School of Nursing has been relocated from Guerry Center to
the Metropolitan Building.  Once school starts, additional moves will be
made into the Grote vacated space.

In other project news, Hunter, Cadek, Guerry, and Metro all have new roofs,
and Grote Hall will be getting a new roof starting in September. Guerry and
Cadek now have elevators.  Repairs to Patten Chapel, Annex, and 605 Oak
Development house exteriors will begin later this year.  A major upgrade to
the campus electrical distribution system is on the drawing board and will
be bid in the next month.  A new chiller and more improvements to the
Central Energy Plant are up next, along with another new building, the
Wellness Center.  Watch for an open meeting early in the fall to participate
in the site selection process.

It's been a long and messy year or two, and we sure do appreciate the
patience of our students, faculty, and staff.  At the same time, it's really
exciting to see the transformation of the campus.

Janet

Janet Spraker

Asst. Director of Engineering Services

UTC Facilties Planning & Management