UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Katheryn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katheryn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:49:11 -0700
I feel compelled to add my voice to this discussion, something I have not
done before.
         I find it appalling that in these difficult time anyone in
considering a salary increase as justifiable. If there is such loose cash
available, it should be used, as Ms. Bell and others have argued, to
support the academic programs, which have suffered such severe cuts. If any
salaries are to be raised it should be that of the academic staff, who
sustain the purpose of this University, and have carried the burden of
sacrifice for so long.
         I am confused as to why sacrifice has been so selectively imposed.
Why are there no cuts in Athletics, for example? They are a past-time, not
a professional skill or academic discipline. Why are some of the coaches
paid so exorbitant a salary?  The salary of just one of these coaches would
go far to solve the fiscal problems of the library. Why are the athletic
teams afforded more economic support than any course on campus? The
football team is a constant drain of finances, and far too expensive for
the number of students it actually serves, and of far too little interest
to anyone else. Why is it not scrapped, and it's budget spread across
campus in a manner that would serve far more students, and better support
our academic purpose? and Why should we stop this discussion with football?
         I am also upset, as are many before me today, that a mere
"Administrative Assistant", is deemed worthy of so extravagant a salary.
How will her work contribute to the mission of the University? How many
students will she serve? How many life skills or professional skills  will
she pass on? and Why was she, and so many others in the upper
administration rewarded so handsomely for taking up employment here, when
so many who sustain the life of this University are denied consideration
for market parity?
         So many in this University have been called upon to soldier on in
a spirit of self-sacrifice and dedication to the profession and to our
students. Very personally, I find it difficult to respect those who so
obviously come for more mercenary reasons, and whose work does not
contribute to or support that fundamentally important mission.
         Administration and non-academic programs are the first place to
look to make cuts in a fiscal crisis, so as to protect our educational
mission, but it seems that here those are the only places deemed inviolate.
It is a sad commentary that our administration is so deliberately
self-serving at the same time that the University community is exhorted to
sacrifice. We can ill-afford such selfishness.

Katheryn A. Thompson, PhD
Assistant Professor of Spanish
University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
Foreign Languages & Literatures