UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Julia Cronin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia Cronin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:38:42 -0400
This is a difficult time for our campus community.  We are presented with an "Economic Crisis" and told to pull in our belts, make do as best we can and do more with less - both in people and resources - but then staff and faculty find that this applies only to some, not to all.  It is a sad commentary that we are laying people off and doing away with much needed positions in order to give raises to a few.
As far as support staff are concerned, there are fewer of us to support you than there were five years ago; there will be fewer still in a few months.   Our salaries are woefully low and there is no end in sight.  Last year we had a "huge victory" in the salary arena by actually receiving a 2% raise OR an increase to match the health insurance increase.  Much has been made of that, but imagine not even making enough wage so that a 2% raise doesn't cover an increase in the cost of insurance?  At the time I was very pleased to be a part of the Budget Committee that made this possible for our non-exempt and felt that perhaps more headway could be made in the future, but that is when I believed that we were ALL in this together - trying to make things better for a campus that is overburdened and under funded by the state.
As I look back over the last three and one half years of being Chair of the ERC, I see that we have not moved toward equitable salaries.  Any salary increases have been offset by an unfathomable increase in work load, insurance costs and an attitude from above that we "just have to find a way to do it all".  It is no wonder that as I speak with others across campus: support staff, exempt staff and faculty alike, the attitude and morale is overwhelmingly poor.   I would never begrudge someone a raise, but there are so many of us who are underpaid and now there is the problem of  how money can be found when it is wanted, but not when it is needed.

Julia S. Cronin
Student Employment Coordinator
UTC - Financial Aid Office
Chair - Employee Relations Committee