UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Joseph Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:56:47 -0400
August 22, 2003

To: All UT Faculty, Staff, and Students
From: Dr. Joseph E. Johnson, Interim UT President

Some of you know I prefer talking to people face to face rather than
sending e-mails. But in this situation, e-mail was the only way I
could tell all of you quickly that I'm on the job as interim
president and what I intend to do.

The University of Tennessee has been through some very public and
serious troubles. We all know more than we want to about recent
problems and less than we should about the enormous promise of our
students and faculty.

I have the highest respect for Governor Phil Bredesen, the Board of
Trustees, and all members of the University of Tennessee family, and
I'm confident we will all pull together to refocus public attention
on all that is right about the university rather than what is wrong.
(In that regard, you might look at the UT homepage
http://www.utk.edu/ where some of our creative staff have posted an
effort in that direction.)

I am sorry all this has happened to our university. I want you to
know that my first priority is restoring UT's credibility with its
students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, parents, and government
officials. I'll do everything I can to make sure nothing like this
happens again.

I appreciate each of you. It's a privilege to have the opportunity to
lead this university again. I hope to see and talk to many old
friends and meet new ones in the coming weeks. And don't expect a lot
of e-mails from me.