UTCSTAFF Archives

August 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Harry Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harry Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:38:41 -0400
ms smith, the assertions that you relate here are an urban legend dating
back to 1975! there was a petition #rm2493 submitted to the fcc in 1975 by
a group challenging the legitimacy of licenses granted to some religious
broadcasters. Ms O'Hare had nothing to do with it. the petition was
rejected out of hand, in 1975, by the members of the fcc who noted in their
ruling that the fcc "cannot prevent or inhibit the broadcasting of
religious programs." the fcc claims to have fielded literally millions of
inquiries about this since that time. you really should do some research
before you disseminate false and misleading information.

the constitution of the u.s. guarantees the right to freedom of religious
expression. it also mandates that the government remain neutral  in respect
to religion and not promote or endorse christianity, or any other religious
doctrine, over others. many so called christians in this country seem to
have lost sight of that, even though they are reminded of it frequently by
the courts, as has just occurred in respect to the chief justice of the
alabama supreme court and his defiance of the law and the constitution. a
very conservative federal court of appeal for the 11th district, and the
equally conservative supreme court of the u.s., both emphatically rejected
judge moore's arguments, stating that his placing a stone monument with the
ten commandments engraved on it violates the constitutional separation of
church and state. these were not radical left wing atheists who ruled
thusly, but conservative, christian jurists who were adhering to an
interpretation of the first amendment that has been repeatedly upheld by
numerous courts over the years.

thank god, and james madison, for the bill of rights! they protect the
rights of the minority from the depredations of the majority. every
individual in this country has the right to follow his or her own dictates
in matters of conscience. this means we have the right to be christians,
jews, hindus, muslims, bokonnonists, secular humanists, or atheists... and
we have the right to be free from persecution for those beliefs. it also
means that we, as individuals, are free from having someone else's
religious beliefs crammed down our throats by the state. that would
certainly qualify as religious tyranny. neither the fcc, nor the federal
government has the right to suppress or limit religious expression in the
private sector, but neither do they have the right to endorse a particular
religious doctrine over others through state run channels of communications.

Harry M. Hays
History Dept.