SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2003

Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:23:40 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Reef Fish" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [SCUBA-SE] OT, OT, and more OT

> >> Although his operation is only a little over two weeks old, I asked him
> >about the usual side effects.  When asked about night glare and halos, he
> >> said "What glare."
>
> My eye is only ONE week old.  Before the operation, the cataract did seem
> to make it much more difficult to see during the day looking at the
> bright sun OR looking at oncoming lights at night.  Don't know if that's
> what you called the "glare".  That "glare" appears to have gone -- or

Your surgery is a bit different, in that the puncture site (I assume that's
what he did, if he removed the lens, and filled it with the gel) is usually
in the sclera, whereas with LASIK, the cornea is cut. It's the joint of the
cut that causes the glare and halo effect. In your case, the glasses is for
the optic nerve to get used to the suddenly increased input due to the
clearer vision (you had poor quality built in sunglasses before).

> Mine was definitely BETTER.  Of course I wasn't wearing any glasses
> or contacts.  Also Poe seemed to be skeptical, but it seemed that the
> piece of "jelly" implanted where the yellow cataract was removed, my
> vision of that eye was virtually 20/20.   I suppose the replacement
> COULD cause distortion to make my normal vision abnormal.  Perhaps
> that's why the doc had said after my OTHER eye is operated on, he'll
> then give me a thorough vision test to see whether I need glasses

That soulds interesting; the gel sounds like something new. In the long
past, the lens and capsule around it was removed, so you needed glasses to
focus your vision as the eye no longer had one. Then the implanted lens came
in, and you had restored vision, but at only one point as the lenses were
not flexible (obviously). Looks like (from what you are saying) perhaps they
are now removing the old lens, and filling the capsule with a gel that
mimics the optical quality of the lens. I haven't kept up with this aspect
of eye surgery as my area of expertise is a bit lower down, and I hope I
don't need cataract surgery.

Cheers,
Poe