SCUBA-SE Archives

August 2003

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:37:10 -0400
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:12:43 +1000, Poe Lim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

I just connected this laptop at the San Francisco Hilton and found
myself in the eye of them storm or storm of the eye between Crusty
and Doc Poe!

DIVING (that's all the diving I am gonna do this weekend) to the
midst of your conversation to which I can relate, I'll give the
"perfect eye" person's version.  :-)

>> Although his operation is only a little over two weeks old, I asked him
>about the usual side effects.  When asked about night glare and halos, he
>> said "What glare."

My eye is only ONE week old.  Before the operation, the cataract did seem
to make it much more difficult to see during the day looking at the
bright sun OR looking at oncoming lights at night.  Don't know if that's
what you called the "glare".  That "glare" appears to have gone -- or
at least since I am still wearing the pair of Jack Nicholson dark shades
the doc said I might wear if things get too bright (day or night), I
managed to see very well even wearing those shades at night.  :-)

A side-bar to my wrap-around dark glasses is that strangers now all the
more think I am Miyagi (wearing his Hollywood shade).  :)  I am here
catching the beginning of the Joint Annual Statistical Assoc. Meeting,
since it's not all that often that four of my doctoral students are
attending and presenting papers, and I haven't seen a couple of them
for several years.

NOW when people see me wearing the dark shades, I have to use a new line
such as, "I am Pat Morita pretending to be Jack Nicholson".  Think
anybody will buy it?

>He said it doesn't appear any worse or different than
>when he was wearing contacts.

Mine was definitely BETTER.  Of course I wasn't wearing any glasses
or contacts.  Also Poe seemed to be skeptical, but it seemed that the
piece of "jelly" implanted where the yellow cataract was removed, my
vision of that eye was virtually 20/20.   I suppose the replacement
COULD cause distortion to make my normal vision abnormal.  Perhaps
that's why the doc had said after my OTHER eye is operated on, he'll
then give me a thorough vision test to see whether I need glasses
or not -- I certain hope not!  Even if my new vision is not 20/20,
I much perfer having a slightly warped vision than glasses or contacts
which I've done without, even WITH cataracts.  :-)

But I'll know the verdict about a month from now, after my next
surgery scheduled three weeks from now since the eye Quack is going
on vacation on his paycheck from me.  :-)))

>he also said he had no dry eye

Was that the effect of contacts or the surgery?  I certainly had no
dry eye, but I am still putting a drop of Maxidex (dexamethasone
ophthalmic suspension) three times a day.  Duuno what for.

At any rate, I do expect to have my near 20/20 vision restored (or
rather with the fuzzy yellow removed) after the cataract surgeries.

For a brief moment I thought my eyes had suddenly gone bad when I
looked out of the Concierge's Lounge at the 45th floor of the
Hilton too see VERY FUZZY WHITE everywhere!  It turned out to be
the normal FOG from the San Francisco Bay.  :-)  It's almost
unbelievable how bad the vis is!

-- Bob.