HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 5

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:17:56 -0400
HP-3000 Systems Discussion wrote:
> Paul writes:
>> I'm processing a list containing the 'posix style' name of MPE
>> files.   If a file in the list has a lockword I do not get prompted
>> to supply it (See below):

Although not an answer to your question, you can get around some lockword
issues in the shell.  If a file has a lockword, the shell just denies
access.

INVENT3K:/WONSIL/PUB$ cat UDC
cat: UDC: Permission denied

or

INVENT3K:/WONSIL/PUB$  grep option UDC
grep: input file "UDC": Permission denied

However, if you use the callci command, you can pipe the results of the
PRINT command (and I use a PAGE=0 to prevent the Continue?) into one of the
shell commands:

INVENT3K:/WONSIL/PUB$ callci "print UDC/LOCK;PAGE=0" | grep option
option logon,nolist
option nowarn
option nowarn
INVENT3K:/WONSIL/PUB$

Sorry that doesn't help, but in some particular situations, it can be
helpful.

As for security, you may want to consider using ACLs instead of lockwords if
you can.

Mark W.