HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 4

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:54:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/03 10:47:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Ray speaks very wise words in these two paragraphs.
>
> Avoiding scope creep and buzz-word-technology-solves-all-problems
> should be kept in mind during a platform migration. Actually,
> for any large IS project these are important to keep in check.

I've noticed that it also applies to other kinds of projects - house
remodeling comes to mind.... Collectible car restoration...  the computer controlled
sprinkler system that still isn't watering anything....

Breaking things up into measurable chunks with specific goals or milestones
really helps.   Then all you have to do is discipline yourself to NOT work on
Phase II stuff until you finish Phase I - oh so easy to do!

Wayne