HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 4

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:40:37 -0700

Outside of locking folks away from a command prompt [i.e., in a menu] your best bet for disabling commands like these is an OPTION NOBREAK UDC set at the system level (though an enterprising soul soon finds that many of these "hidden" commands can be accessed via programs that pass user input to the COMMAND intrinsic, like the editor)

The sneaky part is to also make it OPTION NOHELP so there is little outward appearance that the command is being diverted.  If you let the command execute as expected, but also log who, when, where, etc., then the user who is misusing resources may be none-the-wiser until you lock it down.