HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:46:18 -0700
Tim Cummings wrote:

>My point exactly!
>
>Why would a customer want a proprietary HP-UX when what he is
>being told to dump is a proprietary MPE.

Keep in mind that a vendor-tweaked version of unix (HP-UX for example)
will be a lot easier migration to other vendor-tweaked unix (Solaris
for example) and also to Linux than migrations from MPE to Linux or
any vendor-tweaked flavor of unix.

Depending on the complexity of your application and what features
of the o/s you use you might find yourself being close to source
code compatible across Linux and other vendor-tweaked unix flavors.

There is a lot of good stuff in HP-UX that you can get that will
help you enterprise computing today. You will have to wait for
these concepts to make their way into Linux (some may never
get integrated).

For an interesting take on the Linux kernel and issues related
to efficiently supporting multiple cpu and many-process server
systems and the work being done to make the Linux kernel more
enterprise ready out of the box you should read the excellent
article in the May'03 issue of Linux Journal on the upcoming
2.6 version of the Linux kernel.

Finally, we are an ISV and we are support both HP-UX and Linux
for our target migration. Also, as an ISV we get to see what
HP is doing with HP-UX and I can assure you they are committed
to HP-UX.

duane percox