HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 1

From:
James P Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 04:56:31 GMT
Hello Folks @ 3000-L,

RE: Connect but Respons

The most common cause of this problem is that your
JINETD job is running in the C queue, where it is
assigned by default. Over time however, the JINETD
job will fall to the very bottom of queue. If you
then have another process in the C queue that is
simultaneously consuming 100% (or nearly so) of
the CPU's time, JINETD becomes incapable of
signing on a new user.

Users that are already signed on via telnet have
no problem under these circumstances of heavy CPU
usage, but new users who attempt to connect are
otherwise completely shut out from logons. To
correct the problem, I ALTPROC our JINETD jobs to
the B queue. I've found that to completely correct
the problem with no adverse effects, but HP
doesn't like the solution (for unremembered
reasons).

My feed back on this issue is putting INETD in the BS Queue put's it
at a higher priority than the system console and new session logons
for the DTC and NS-VT which are all in the CQ starting at a base
Priority of C152.

The solution implemented in INETD is to lock it at a priority of 152
which is the CQ Base Priority (Linear B152) to assure it has the
resources to launce Telnet (JSMAIN B152 & CI C152) and FTP (FTPSRVR
C152), yet not inhibit the launching of other network and DTC logon/
sessions.

7.5: Fix SR: 8606-156115 is included in base 7.5 release.
7.0: INTGD33 General Release
6.5: INTFDX3 superseded by INTGDG3 General Release

In the JINETD.NET.SYS job, the "!run inetd.net.sys" should not include
a ";pri=" parameter.

Note: HP has identified cases where network semaphores were held by
INETD at a ";PRI=BS".  This configuration is considered "unsupported"
by HP.

Regards,
  James Hofmeister
  Hewlett Packard