HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 05:39:58 EDT
something wrote:
> someone wrote:
>  But, if you're really interested, you can purchase mammalian bacula on-
>  line:
>
>        http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html
>  ----
>  According to my handy Latin-English/English-Latin dictionary I keep in
>  my desk, the plural of baculum is baculi - meaning a stick or staff.

You may be misreading your dictionary. Baculi is not the plural of baculum.
Rather it is the genitive singular of baculum. The proper nominative (or
vocative) plural of baculum is bacula -- and it is the only form used in biology. By
chance, this word is used as the example for proper pluralization on:

     http://www.angelfire.com/ga/dracodraconis/latin.html

...however don't go to the page if you don't like pop-ups. One or two will
appear.

Now I ask you: how much more erudite can a computer users' list become when
people began to argue about the proper plurals of Latin nouns?

Wirt Atmar