HP3000-L Archives

July 2003, Week 1

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:37:24 -0700
> Newbie to this list and to HP 3000's.  Know enough to be dangerous.
> However, I have been tasked to get a 947 up and running so we
> can migrate
> from our 922.  Replaced old 2gig system drive with a (newer)
> 4gig SCSI but I
> can't get the system to boot from the tape drive to install
> the OS (MPE 6.0)
>
> I get a green and orange light on the tape's front panel
> after loading the
> tape.  Does this mean the tape unit (1503 DDS2?) is trashed?

If both lights are solid, then there is probably a problem with the drive.
At least that's what my DDS-2 Tape Drive Quick Reference wheel shows. If the
amber light is flashing, then it just needs a cleaning.

I'll jump out on a limb and assume this is an internal tape drive, in which
case, since you replaced the disk drive, I'd check to make sure all cables
are seated correctly. Anyone who has spent anytime inside a computer case as
experienced the panic caused by a cable knocked loose.

HTH,

John

* John Burke MA, MS, CDP     Email:  [log in to unmask] *
* Burke Consulting           Phone:  (916) 987-0265            *
* 7224 Pine Grove Way        Cell:   (916) 337-0425            *
* Folsom, CA 95630           Web:    www.burke-consulting.com  *