UTCSTAFF Archives

July 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Monty Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Monty Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:52:54 -0400
The UTC Enterprise team continues to work with the vendor software team
trying to identify the remaining issues with the email system. The system
software was upgraded to allow for operational evaluation last  Wednesday
evening July 2nd and has been running for 4 days and 14 hours without
interruption. This new software includes reporting code to allow the vendor
engineers to better identify what is causing the problem we have been
experiencing.   On Thursday, July 3rd  the anti span function was turned on
to assist with the evaluation. Hopefully you  have seen a decrease in SPAM,
since the SPAM blocking feature was activated we have blocked an additional
31,680 SPAM email to the campus in four days.  The system has been closely
monitored over the holiday week end by the Enterprise team and has  not
experienced a service disruption since the software change.

It  appears  that the error which has  caused the previous disruptions of
service  is related to the volume of email processed or to a corrupted
account. We are expecting the increased mail volume on Monday to help with
the trouble shooting and the campus may experience additional service
disruption.   We will not intentionally  take the email system down during
normal business hours, however the system is still operating in an unstable
mode and may experience some disruptions.    The UTC Enterprise team
continues to work directly with primary software engineers that write the
code for the vendor and we have been assured that we are their number one
priority issue to resolve.

This has been and continues to be a very challenging technical issue to work
but we will not rest until we provide the campus a reliable email system.
Thank you again for your putting up with the up and down operation as we try
to get this problem solved.

Monty

Monty Wilson
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga