UTCSTAFF Archives

July 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Mary Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:05:22 -0700
  All - there is no reason why anyone should put up with telemarketing
calls. I send a e-mail last week indicating how to have your names removed
from telemarketing lists. It works. I haven't received these calls in
several years.

The Federal Trade Commission just launched a national "DO NOT CALL" list.

To remove you names from the telemarketing lists:

1. Register your phone number(s) online at www.donotcall.gov.

              or

2.  Call (888) 382-1222 toll free.

Those registering by August 31 should be free of such calls by Oct. 1st.

Those registering later can expect calls to cease with 3 months.

Do be harassed by these fools!   Have your name removed from their lists!

THIS REALLY WORKS!

> [...]
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>Charles,
>
>Although I've not been contacted by this particular "lady," I've had
>similar calls in the past.
>
>My question is:  If you recognize the sinister objective of the
>call--either while on the line or shortly thereafter, why isn't there
>something you can do to identify and catch the caller?  Don't current
>telephone company technologies track calls, and why aren't these
>technologies used to nail such callers?
>
>I have an elderly parent who gets such calls.  Although $2 or $5 doesn't
>sound like much to a modern scam artist, the main thing that protects my
>Dad is his remembering when he worked from sunrise to sunset for $1 a day.
>
> >>Hi Folks,
> >>        I had a nice conversation with a lady last night who said I was a
> >>finalist
> >>for a clearinghouse sweepstakes.  I was asked if I would like a Men's or
> >>Women's diamond studded watch that would be sent free to me ( I went with
> >>the ladies to score some extra wife points)  and which of 4 free
> >>subscriptions I would like.  She was able to read lots of titles from lots
> >>of genres and I picked what I wanted.  She then told me that they wanted to
> >>increase circulation of weekly journals in this area and listed several to
> >>pick from.  As she was about to hang up, she recapped my choices saying
> they
> >>could be changed at any time and were free... except for the weekly
> >>publication which was only 2 dollars a month.  and there you have
> it.  SCAM!
> >>
> >>Don't pay money to unsolicited telephone calls.  (Even if it is just
> >>$2.00/month they can take your credit card number and charge whatever they
> >>like.  They're CROOKS remember?)
> >>
> >>Don't give out personal information   (She already had my name and address
> >>and telephone number.  Don't let that fool you.  Anyone can get that from
> >>the telephone book or Internet.)
> >>
> >>She was very friendly, she talked about her brother, enjoying here boat,
> >>wanting to come up to Chattanooga to help award this prize check to me.
> >>(Of course she is friendly, how else will she hope to lull you into giving
> >>her your credit info?)
> >>

> >>"If it sounds to good to be true it probably is"
> >>
> >>...I wonder if she knew I was on the TN and National do not call list???
> >>
> >>This has been a public service announcement
> >>CTH
> >>Charles T. Hart M.Ed.
> >>Walker Teaching Resource Center
> >>Senior Instructional Developer
> >>University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
> >>615 McCallie Avenue, 401B Hunter Hall
> >>Chattanooga, TN  37403
> >>423-425-4002 (voice)423-425-4025 (fax)
> >

>Maurice E. Edwards, Ph.D., Professor, Dept. #2653
>Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
>The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
>615 McCallie Avenue,
>Chattanooga, TN  37403-2598
>
>Telephone: (423) 425-4341;  (423) 425-4299--Desk

Mary Coleman
Administrative Assistant
Political Science, DEPT. 6356
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
423/425-4281
FAX: 423/425-2373