SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2003

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:07:39 -0400
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:55:01 EDT, Ray Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>In a message dated 7/7/2003 8:42:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

>> a 200-ft dive though.  :-)))  Sue didn't dive at all.  Her docs
>> almost prescribed her to cancel this trip.

< ... snipped ... >
>Hey Bob,
>
>Sir, I know we have had our differences in the past but I sincerely
>hope the best for Sue.
>
>We'll put her in our prayers.
>
>Take care Bob,
>
>Ray

Thanks, RayJ, for your kind and supporting note.

I am changing the subject as much as I can so as not to detract
from Viv's PNG thread on the Star Dancer.

So, I am doing this with a little scuba (data recorder) content!

Insofar as our differences went, we now ALL know that I was right
about the HyperAqualand WARRANTY that it had to be serviced by
an Authorized SURVICE CENTER, which is distinct from an Authorized
Dealer.  :-)

I owned THREE of the HyperAqualands from the time it came out in
1994, to the next one bought in 1995, and the next bought in 1997.

My statement and advice remain the same.  If you want your warranty
to remain in effect (5 years), have EVERY LITTLE THING (including
a battery change) done by the Authorized Service Center, not just
any dealership (even the Rolex shop in Grand Cayman who sold me
my watch and is authorized to service Rolexes, but botched up
putting a battery in mine -- that was when I FIRST learned of all
the fine prints and RULES specified by Citizens, not on all its
watches, but on the HyperAqualand watch in PARTICULAR.

That having said, both Sue and I have "upgraded" our HyperAqualands
by the nefty Sensus Pro data recorder, created, manufactured, and
sold by two FORMER (pre-1994) Scuba-Lers.  I bought mine at the
Chicago Underwater World show a couple of months ago, and because
it was so IMPRESSIVELY functional and well done that I immediately
bought Sue hers.   It cost only $110, and can store about 100
DETAILED profiles as opposed to about 6 on the HyperAqualand.

The software for plotting and printing of divelog is well-designed
and well=done too.  It can also download the RAW date in intervals
of seconds.  In short, it's better than the Nemesis PRO as a
data recorder which I had said in 1995 that I would be willing to
pay $600 for that "computer" IF the Cochroach would DISABLE all
its DIVE capabilities, disable the GAUGE MODE (the computer dies),
and simply keep running as a DATA RECORDER.

Sensus PRO is as close to such a gadget as I can think of, costs
1/6, and is a TINY little thingy like a small lock that just
hangs there and automatically turns itself on and off, tastes
the water for salt vs free, keeps temp.  When I downloaded the
date the first time, I noticed that I did ONE DIVE in Moorea,
Tahiti, but the recorder recorded FOUR DIVES!!!

It turned out that THREE of those dives were by my BCD doing
its solo, twice in a rince tank off the boat, and once in our
hot shower in the cruiseship!  :-)   On the latter, it recorded
a dive in 98 degrees water temperature, for a short time.  :-)))

But those 'extraneous' dives are easily deleted from the
cumulative storage of the logbook mode.

Take a look at:

http://www.reefnet.co

and tell Les and/or Andy that the flaming-feesh sent you,
if you decide to get one.  I get no commission.  Just my PSA
for products well-done!    :-)

LAST but not least -- one of our HyperAqulands finally started
malfunctioning, skipping some dives.  We had sent it to the
AUTHORIZED SERVICE HEADQUARTER in California, thinking it needed
a battery change, but learned that its "movement" (guts) went
sour while the battery is still good.  The Estimate of the
repair bill was $128.

So, I called them this morning to sent the watch back to me (no
charge) because the USED HyperAqualands are selling at about
$120 on e-bay :-)  and about $229 new now.

Of course that watch had outlived its 5-year warranty ... so ...
if YOU want a HyperAqualand to try YOUR HAND at fixing its
guts -- I'll GIVE you that watch, and you can keep it whether
you can fix it or not, or sell/give it to anyone you like IF
you could fix it -- in any event, this time you CAN'T
invalidate its warranty, and its a perfect guineapig to learn
how the inerd of that gizmo work, without jeapardizing anyone's
property.

This will be my offer to you, as a friendly settlement of our
"differences" on said watch a couple of years ago.  :-)

It's a Free Lunch.

ElPezNeuvo.