SCUBA-SE Archives

July 2003

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:01:53 +1000
Strike wrote:

> I'll scan some of them and try and get them put up in the gallery during the
> week.  As for the "how it happened", I'll do that here.  :-)

Whilst it's nice to see that on the -SE list I think that it should
also appear as part of the content of those pics on the website. I'm
quite certain that there are people not members of this Forum who
would be very interested in that history.

A suggestion: how's about a "historical" page?

BTW I'm intrigued, fascinated might be a better description, as to how
you managed to "sync" the cameras when taking a shot? To my knowledge
there has never been an automated  "double shutter pressing device"
for the camera, including the Nik models. I'd assume that you simply
used both hands, hoping to get it pretty right but hitting the left
hand shutter button must have been a tad awkward? I'm assuming your righthanded.

There are many other devices, paper guillotines are one and used by us
at work, where there are two buttons you must press within one second
of each other to make the thing work. In that instance it's a safety
device ensuring that no part of your other hand/arm is within the
cutting area and we have other machines which work on the same principle.

> Oh!  And we used, as I mentioned, the Calypso cameras that our Captain, in
> Whitehall, had signed off on!  If it weren't for fear of the repercussions,
> I'd have been tempted to 'lose' one of them! :-)
>
> They really were tremendous and easy to use cameras and with little to go
> wrong with them.

If you examined the original Berthiot Flor 35mm lens against the
current Nik 35mm lens, the resemblance would be uncanny if you didn't
know better. :-)

Curiously the lens was patented some three years before the camera
body itself. Sorry, no, I've never been able to find out why this
happened, not that I haven't tried.

Would you like a photograph of de Wouters to go with that?
Incidentally, de Wouters only married in his late fifties (IIRC) and,
ahem, died on his honeymoon in Rome.

What a way to go!!! :-0

Cheers,

Christian
--
I haven't quite worked out the secret of life yet, but I just know it
must have something to do with lunch.