HP3000-L Archives

June 2003, Week 4

From:
Rick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:47:38 -0500
 Wayne R. Boyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What I have never understood is Why this software exists at all.
> 10Base-T vs. 100Base-TX is just a hardware data connection speed
> difference.  The higher level protocols are the same.  Once the card
> converts data to/from the HP-PB bus, everything has to be the same
> from that point onwards towards the CPU.  My only guess is that the
> control commands for the card are somehow different from a 10Base-T
> setup.

That is correct.  The programming model for a NIC depends on the
_implementation_ of the chip, not necesarily the network type it
implements.  So, you can have two 10BT or 100BT etc NICs, that both
"do" the same ethernet thing, but have very different programming
models.

The "very old" core 10BT interface on the HP-PB systems was (iirc) an
AMD LANCE chipset, with a paricular flabor of HP-PB DMA chipset in
front of it.  That had one programming model.

The later "old" 10BT interfaces were based on either discrete Intel
82596 chips, or cells from the Intel 82596 integrated with other
functions on a chip.  Those had a different programming model.

The HSC/PCI 100BT interfaces had yet another programming model.

Similarly the  HP-PB 100BT interfaces had yet another programming
model.

The Gigabit interfaces have another programming model.

So, you get drivers for each. Sometimes you even get new drivers for a
new major rev of the existing chipset - for example, the programming
model of the Tigon3 GbE chipset differed from the Tigon2 chipset.

> Is this special software essentially just like a driver program in
> the PC world?

Essentially, and there are separate drivers for each different family
of 10BT or 100BT or GbE NICs in the PC world.  There are also a great
number of clones.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...