HP3000-L Archives

June 2003, Week 3

From:
"Gehan G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gehan G.
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:37:21 -0700
>"I.B.M. no longer has the authority to sell or distribute
>AIX, and customers no longer have the right to use AIX
>software," Darl C. McBride, the chief executive of SCO,
>said.

 Are they tring to say that if I own an ibm running aix that I
have to power it off? Somehow I don't see that strategy working
in their benifet.
 8 billion dollars is a lot of business. I don't see that many
companies heading for their power switches, over some idle
threat from SCO. Don't get me wrong. I respect the idea of IP
and patents. I think they should be defended vigriously. I just
think SCO's aggresive stance is going to backfire on them. They
need to stick with the legal route and leave the customers out
of it...

 I think they should have 30 days to gather up their signed
contracts and mail them to some newly formed contract despute
office. Contracts are all in writing. It shouldn't be that hard
for a few dozen copywrite laywers to figure out who owns what.

-G