HP3000-L Archives

June 2003, Week 2

From:
Randy Medd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Medd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:51:51 -0700
Tracy wrote:

> donna wrote
>
> > the mail client from telamon is a wonderful product!  it's
> > easy to use and reliable.  however, that program will not work
> > if the network is down.
>
> <snipped various other good points re fragility of the infrastructure>
>
> :file dialer;dev=modem
> :echo atdt9,5105551212,{numericerrorcode}# > *dialer

Thanks, [Dd]onna.

Another freeware tool we provide is PAGER.  It knows how to talk to
MPE-attached modems (suitably configured) and can do both simple
numeric paging as well as TAP and UCP (Europe-only) text paging.

So, the above numeric message example could be implemented using:

  :PAGER "-phone 9,5551212 -dev modem,120 {numericerrorcode}"

(PAGER supplies the trailing "#") and for full-text:

  :PAGER "-phone 9,5551234 -dev modem,120 -pin 1231234 text message"

The principal requirement is that the modem be appropriately
configured so that PAGER can get its associated LDEV open.  Usually,
this simply means that the modem needs to be strapped to hold carrier-
detect (DCD) and data-set-ready (DSR) high, either all of the time
(not the best solution) or some of the time.  e.g. from the built-in
usage summary:

  Recommended modem config: AT &C0 &S2 &D3
     DCD Forced High-----------|   |   |
     DSR Drops only on disconnect--|   |
     Reset on DTR loss-----------------|
  (For USRobotics, change &D3 to S13=1)

These settings (which have DCD High and DSR in "blink" mode) would
need to be pre-loaded into the modem - if they're not in effect when
the modem's attached to the LDEV, an FOPEN won't work and the software
won't be able to make the changes on its own.  Catch 22.

  ftp://ftp.telamon.com/mpe_freeware/pager.nm.wrq

Fot TAP and UCP, you'll also need a valid TAP/UCP server phone number
as well as a valid PIN for the target wireless device.

Note that quite a few wireless service providers are retiring their
modem access methods (too old-school, I guess), switching to entirely
IP-based access.  And those who _do_ support TAP, very often haven't
shared that information with their customer service groups, so calling
Pager/Phone Company "X" and asking for a TAP number may well result in
confused silence....

While I'm on the subject, we've also got an SNPP (Simple Network
Paging Protocol) client, good for short-messages, for those service
providers who support this IP-based protocol.

  ftp://ftp.telamon.com/mpe_freeware/snpp.nm.wrq

--
Randy Medd