HP3000-L Archives

June 2003, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:55:22 -0400
John Burke wrote:
>>I must be even stupider than I thought I was, because I can't
>>figure out
>>why this is so. Can anyone enlighten me?

> Sometime ago Jeff Vance (who better) wrote an explanation of this seemingly
> odd behavior. It should be in the archives. I do not remember the details
> now, but I think the reason has an historical (not hysterical) component.

The CM CI takes the first non-alphabetic character as a delimiter (for
you SPL fans, that's SCAN...WHILE A and not SCAN...WHILE AN.

Thus COBOL was followed by COBOLII (not COBOL2),
      FORTRAN was followed by FTN (not FTN77),
      etc.

Not sure how it started that way, but it eventually became a feature,
especially with UDC files, e.g., SJ@J or REP7,Y.

Jeff