UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"John A. Lynch" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John A. Lynch
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1904 10:40:29 -0500
My Turn By David Finley

   Educators know the truth but are afraid to say it: All children cannot
 learn. I am an educator, and in my profession it is a mortal sin to say that
 all children cannot learn. Now that I have said it publicly, I will probably
 lose my job and be excommunicated from my profession. At the very least I am
 certain it will give Arizona's state superintendent of public instruction a
 bad case of heartburn.

   Perhaps I can redeem myself by rephrasing the statement: All children can
 learn but all children cannot learn as much as all other children. And all
 children cannot learn to some preset state or Federal standard, as is
 currently mandated by the No Child Left Behind Act and Arizona Learns
 legislation.

   I am principal of a school the state has labeled "underperforming." Does
 this embarrass me? Not in the least. The label is a misnomer. Schools are
 simply brick and mortar. They do not perform, over or under. The label really
 means that the school's instructional staff is underperforming. Since I know
 that the teachers at my school are effective, dedicated professionals who are
 actually "overperforming," I am not the least bit embarrassed by being
 mislabeled as a result of this ridiculous legislation. Color me defensive if
 you must, but I believe labeling schools is nothing more than name-calling,
 something most of us learned not to do in kindergarten. Labeling schools will
 not improve them and actually runs counter to the intended purpose. The goal
 of the law is admirable and sounds great to voters. Schools will be held
 accountable to ensure that all children learn and succeed; the achievement
 gap between poor and rich kids will magically disappear; and no child will be
 left behind. The only phrase missing is that everyone will live happily ever
 after.

   Like the emperor in the classic fairy tale, the No Child Left Behind Act
 has no clothes, but no one is saying so. The punitive nature of the
 legislation is forcing teachers to teach to a test instead of teaching
 children; consequently, there may be a superficial test scores. However, for
 solving the problem of low achievement by at-risk children, it is tantamount
 to putting a Band-Aid on a headache. Saying that "all" children must achieve
 to a predetermined standard on a test is like saying that all children in
 physical education classes must run a six-minute mile on a physical fitness
 exam. And saying that all children must show one year's academic growth for
 one year in school is like saying that all children in the school lunch
 program must gain 10 pounds and grow 2 inches in one year.

   Children are not created equal in athletic ability or physical
 characteristics. Neither are they created equal in their ability to learn.
 Any first-year teacher knows this; apparently politicians do not. They have
 created a law that is focused on fixing the schools and just possibly the
 schools aren't broken. I am not saying the schools are perfect or that we
 cannot improve. And I firmly believe that the education profession must be
 held accountable for what it does. But this is true of every profession,
 including law and medicine.

   The professional educator, however, seems to be at the bottom of the food
 chain. Unlike any other profession, we are constantly asked to do more with
 less. And politicians, who say things that are politically expedient but not
 educationally realistic, relentlessly criticize us. Doctors and lawyers are
 never subject to such political philandering and shortsighted legislation.

   Doctors are not required by law to cure all their patients. It is
 acknowledged that there are circumstances with each patient that are unique.
 Some patients will not follow their doctor's instructions; some simply have
 illnesses that cannot be cured. Lawyers are not required by law to win all
 their cases. It is recognized that every client has a unique set of
 circumstances that will directly affect their attorney's ability to bring
 them success in court. Teachers, on the other hand, do not fare so well with
 lawmakers. The law ignores the fact that schools in the low-income areas
 serving predominantly at-risk children have much higher percentages of
 children with special "medical problems and legal circumstances." Under the
 threat of a "failing label" teachers must cure every child irrespective of
 his or her illness; win every case in the courthouse of the classroom no
 matter the legal circumstance of the child.

   In "The Emperor's New Clothes," it takes a small child to tell the truth
 and bring the adults to their senses. Maybe our legislators need to come into
 the "underperforming" schools. They might learn some things they did not know
 before. Perhaps this would bring about some responsible legislation aimed at
 solving some of our problems instead of creating new ones, such as an exodus
 of quality teachers from the at-risk schools, where they are needed most.
 Fairy tales usually have a happy ending, but I fear not this one.

   David Finley is the principal of Webster Elementary School in Mesa, AZ. He
 has been an educator for 32 years.

John A. Lynch, Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, #2252
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598

Office:        437 Grote Hall