UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Carol Kimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Kimmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:57:11 -0500
It's almost time for the fifth annual "Food For Life" Conference,
hosted by the Sequatchie Valley Institute!  Everyone is welcome to come
to any or all of the workshops--you can sign up for just one workshop,
for a half-day of workshops, or for the entire 8 days!  The conference
will take place from June 5-15, at our beautiful hand-crafted buildings
located in the forest on the edge of the Sequatchie Valley, just 45
min. from UTC, between Dunlap and Whitwell.
        Food for Life will include hands-on workshops in permaculture, organic
gardening, food preservation, cooking methods and diet choices,
macrobiotics, natural medicines, and nutrition.  We will also hold
seminars on
the political, social, and ecological implications of agriculture,
including alternatives to biotech, factory farming, and genetic
engineering.  Call or email for a complete schedule.
        Participants will help make food in workshops that will later be
used for meals; each meal is therefore an intentional and integral part
of
the curriculum.  This year's conference has been expanded to include
new workshops for children.  These will include natural tie-dying,
puppetry, and kids cooking.
        At least 25 enthusiastic educators will be on hand for the
conference.  Sample workshops include Nutrition-Concepts and
Controversies;
Fermentation-learn to make sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, sourdough bread
and more; Wild Edibles and Native Plants; Food Preservation; and Issues
Surrounding Genetic Engineering.
        The mission of the Sequatchie Valley Institute is to offer
society an opportunity to experience and learn about living in harmony
with nature by providing education, art, and research opportunities; a
progressive,
dynamic model residence and learning center; land conservation and
restoration; and a vision for attaining a sustainable future.
         Directions are available by calling 949-5922 or e-mailing
[log in to unmask]  We offer sliding scale fees so that people of all
income levels can enjoy our programs.  More information is available on
our website at
www.svionline.org.

Carol Kimmons, Education Director at SVI