UTCSTAFF Archives

June 2003

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Frances Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:01:34 -0400
Well there's good news and bad news:

The bad news is, I just got off the phone with a local attorney who
specializes in music and entertainment law.  His advice is to erase the
tapes in order to stay completely in line with the letter of the law.  He
had some good information and understood the situation but said that if
ASCAP or BMI ever decided to make it an issue, then I would not have much
defense.  The same advice was given when asked about donating the tapes to
a charity.  Since there would be no guarantee that the movies would be
removed or taped over by the charity, then I would be guilty of providing
free entertainment to an audience, thereby denying the owners of the
performance, music and screenplay copyrights their fair monetary dues.

So...Mr. Hart...may I borrow your magnet?

I apologize to those who expressed an interest in the tapes.  And please
accept my apologies for my lack of preparation before
advertising.  However, this has been a good exercise and one I will not
soon forget.

If you ever need advice on this or other music and entertainment issues,
give me a call and I'll share this attorney's name and number with you.

The good news is, the tapes will still be for sale, just empty and ready
for taping.  The other good news is, they will only cost .50 each.

Frances Fuller
Administrative Support Assistant
III                    http://www.utc.edu/~careered/
Center for Community Career Education