SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2003

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:30:31 -0400
Cannot quite compete with the basking shark sightings in UK, but ....

 .... not content with keeping ailing airlines afloat
and injecting millions into the faltering US economy,
the Dive Weasel also found time to have some serious
fun these last two weekends.

According to the dive log, I did 6 dives May 31/June 1 and
another 2 on June 7. 12 more FLA dives in total on this trip,
all in the Boca/Delray/Boynton area.

Stingrays, a jewfish (damaged by spearos), turtles, scorpionfish,
lotsa lobsters and big crabs and Spanish lobbies, nurse sharks,
reef sharks, .... everything that you might expect on the Delray
and Boynton reefs. Real interesting was a yellow spotted moray,
that was out hunting, being followed by a small basslet, that hung
on top of the moray's head looking for scraps. I watched them for
at least 10 minutes, great fun.

Never had any significant current, which I greatly enjoyed since
we could look at the little things on the reefs. But once I was
assigned a buddy that I carelessly let carry the float. Since
repeated yelling did not get his brain cells agitated, I eventually
decided to just yank the float from his hand. Had a nice relaxing
dive from then on.

The best dives were with Kathy (Leo's wife) and Franz from N.Y.,
who both dive at my speed. The Delray reefs are just lousy with
small critters, a quick drift is usually nonsense.

Met a lot of old regulars again, such as Victor, the Chinese
spearfisher. I agree with his hunting style all the way. Great guy.

Of course we also soaked up lotsa Beck's at the 2 George's. Certain
lawsuits involving Splashdown were being discussed. And the fact
that Chuck wasn't real welcome in Summer, since he always brings
hurricanes with him. And also that Boca may soon have a
new dive boat at the Cove marina.

It was great being back with old friends. But, Air France (!!!) has
now flown me back home. "You surrender monkeys better get me some
double gin&tonic ASAP"  really made me the darling of the crew on
the flight home. But I'm not feeling too hot right now. Anyone know if
airlines generally carry rat poison for some reason?

So, all 3 major oceans dived since April. New plans need to be made.
Andy: Red Sea some time soon???

M the Weasel