SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2003

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:08:47 -0400
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:09:19 -0700, David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>True, but for an operator like the Aggressor fleet,
>the EPIRB cost might be less than the PR cost of this
>type of incident and surely would be less than the
>costs of the inevitable legal proceedings.

Don't know the situation in Cocos, but every buddy team
has a clip-on EPIRB on the Tahiti Aggressor when I dived
on it in December 2002.   I am pretty sure they are on
the Galapagos Aggressor also.

Perhaps as swift as the current in Cocos is, on an
ordinary day, it's just not quite as wicked as those
near the Passes in the archipelagos in French
Polynesia or in Galapagos.

In any event, those mini-EPIRBs have an operating range
of only about 6 miles from the tracking station on the
mother ship.

Glad to see St. Carl out on a lively discussion on a
topic dear to da Feeesh's heart.  I am content to just
sit back and lurk, having covered what I had to say
several times already.

ElPezNeuvo.