SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2003

Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:39:40 -0500
> He showed some film clips of the 'Monitor' taken ten years apart.  In that
> space of time - even without divers trampling all over it - the sea had
> taken its toll and process of disintegration was incredible.
>
> And think of the outcry if the same restrictions applied to, say, the
> 'Andria Doria'?  The sad thing is that unless wrecks are raised and
> subsequently preserved and restored, they are bound to collapse and
> disintegrate.  And as the only people privileged to see them, why
shouldn't
> divers be allowed to penetrate them if conditions and safety allow?  At
> least their memories, writings and recorded images can prolong the wreck's
> life far more capably than will the sea! :-)

I am of two minds on this subject.

On the one hand, there is something to be learned from the past.  On the
other hand, how would you feel if the local anthropologist dug up your
mother's grave to see how she died and or the local collector dug her up to
get some souvenirs?  It is easy to go and dig thru someone else's graves
(especially when they are unknown to you) but when you start putting a
personal face on it, it gets harder.

On yet another hand (did not know I was a three handed alien did you?) there
are lots of wrecks where no one died and as far as I am concerned, they
should be fair game.

CH