SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2003

From:
Mike Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:14:43 -0500
On 26 Jun 2003 at 14:01, Reef Fish wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:48:24 -0500, John Nitrox <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> >At 05:17 PM 6/25/2003 -0500, Mike Wallace wrote:
> >
> >>Personally, I think the operation has some responsibility in
> >>insuring
> that the
> >>customers are fully aware of the conditions they are likely to face
> >>and
> in
> >>no uncertain
> >>terms they should be told that they should not dive those conditions
> >>if they are not fully prepared for them. After that, when the fins
> >>hit the water it's the diver's ass.....
>
> This is usually done on exceptional sites.

Usually done? What would their reason be for not giving an advanced full briefing.

> >         Moreover, I think it's incumbent upon the dive operation to
> >         give
> >potential customers information on the difficulty of the dive before
> >those customers are sitting in diesel fumes on a pitching sea where
> >self-estimation of diving abilities might soar.  Of course, it's
> ultimately
> >always the diver  who is responsible for himself... God doesn't say,
> >"Hmm, seems like the operator's fault; you, Mr. Diver, get out of the
> >casket,
> and
> >you, Mr. DM get into the casket," but there's something wrong with an
> >operation that doesn't fully inform its potential customers of all
> >the facts about the dives prior to putting those divers in the boat.
> >Personally, besides transportation, the facts are what I want most
> >from a dive operation, and the earlier the better.
>
> All sound good and well AFTER the fit has already hit the shan.
>
> In the case of Cosos, that operation has been around for over 15
> years.  I have warned divers in 1992 what you want the operation and
> DM to warn on EVERY site and every dive?

You arent' a DM for the operation, although your warning would certainly be another
source of information for me if I were diving this site for first time. As to whether or
not they should warn on EVERY site and every dive, I would not think that would be
necessary as long as each site is comparable in potential conditions for the area. A
very good initial briefing and then reminders when warranted should be sufficient.

> Have you heard of teh expression "Let the Buyer Beware."  ?

> That is ALSO the RESPONSIBILITY of the DIVER.  To do some research and
> ask some questions before you believe someone who says:  here's a
> parachute -- jump, when you have no experience in such.

Absolutely, and then he should back up that information with good sound local
information.

--
Mike Wallace
Huntsville, Alabama