SCUBA-SE Archives

June 2003

From:
Don Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:33:11 -0400
I have been trying to find more info.  I found the below with much of the
of the same info as the original article posted here, but additional info
about the search.

http://www.ticotimes.net/archive/05_30_03_2.htm

Hope Fades for Missing Divers
By David Boddiger
Tico Times Staff

What should have been an idyllic 10-day diving trip to remote Cocos Island
turned to tragedy this week for two men missing since last Friday and
suspected dead.
U.S. retiree Bruce Rubin, 56, and Brazilian Israel Ostrowiecki, 55,
disappeared Friday morning during a dive at the "Dos Amigos Pequeños" site
on the southwest side of the uninhabited island, some 530 kilometers (300
miles) southwest of Costa Rica's Pacific coast. The divers were discovered
missing after the conclusion of the dive, family members said.
An exhaustive search headed by the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard has failed to
locate the missing divers, and at press time, authorities were evaluating
whether or not to call off the search, which has covered some 2,400 square-
miles since last Friday, according to U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Marcia
Bosshardt.
In a Wednesday meeting with U.S. Embassy officials, family members of the
two missing men persuaded authorities to continue searching, hoping
against odds that the divers are alive and drifting at sea. Search crews
on Monday found one of the divers' empty air tanks and an orange floating
location device, known as a "sausage," some 12 miles southwest of the
site.
"I'm going to do everything I can to bring the most comprehensive search
and rescue operation possible," Rubin's wife Sondra told The Tico Times on
Wednesday. "If anyone could survive this, my husband could."
But family members began to lose hope yesterday that the divers, who have
been lost for more than 150 hours, would be found alive.
Rubin and Ostrowiecki were on their second day of a 19-person dive
expedition aboard the 120-foot Okeanos Aggressor, based in the Pacific
port of Puntarenas. A Costa Rican franchise of the Louisiana-based
Aggressor Fleet, the Okeanos Aggressor is one of three companies that
charters trips to the uninhabited island, located some 36 hours away.
Cocos Island, a protected national park accessible only by ship, is known
worldwide for an abundance of marine species, including dense populations
of the hammerhead shark. Strong currents, cold temperatures and the area's
isolation can create difficult conditions even for experienced divers.
Speaking by phone from Louisiana, Aggressor Fleet founder Wayne Hasson
said he is "heartbroken."
"This is the first time this has ever happened to us in 20 years of
diving," he said. "We have all the security procedures in place, and
everyone on that boat is thoroughly trained in what to do."
In Costa Rica, franchise operations manager José Pastora would not release
details of the accident, saying an investigation would be conducted when
the dive boat returns to port, most likely today. He said this week's
accident was the first in the company's 15-year history.
According to initial reports from family members of both men, Rubin, his
19-year-old daughter Lilith and Ostrowiecki were part of a smaller nine-
member group that departed for the Friday-morning dive on the island's
south side in one of the company's two smaller boats.
Lilith Rubin and Ostrowiecki allegedly descended in a first group of four
divers, while Bruce Rubin followed in a second group of five.
It is unclear whether the two men - apparently in different dive groups -
disappeared together or separately. It is also unclear whether the divers
were utilizing the standard "dive buddy" safety system of diving in pairs.
According to family members, one dive master accompanied the two groups,
although neither family members nor Pastora could confirm the information
until the ship returns today.
"There are many unanswered questions regarding security issues," said
Ostrowiecki's 24-year-old son Alexandre, who arrived this week with other
relatives from his home in Sao Paulo, Brazil. "We just want a thorough
investigation. If (employees) were doing their job, fine. If there was
negligence, we want to know, so that my father and Bruce are the last two
people this happens to."
Both family members and company officials praised U.S. authorities for
what they said has been an intense and impressive search and rescue
effort. Directed by a U.S. command center in San Francisco, California,
Coast Guard and Navy officials have conducted 24 searches totaling more
than 140 hours, from aboard the U.S.S. O'Bannon destroyer, a C-130 plane
equipped with state-of-the-art sonar and radar equipment, and an SH-60
search helicopter.
Costa Rican officials have also participated in the search aboard a boat
assigned to the Cocos Island ranger station. Search crews have logged more
than 140 hours, Bosshardt said.
Questions also remain about whether Rubin, whose knee had been operated on
26 times, was fit for the dive. Information distributed to divers by the
company warned that the trip "is not recommended to new divers or
handicapped divers."
But Rubin - a third-degree black belt, Sensei and Nisei Goju Ryu
instructor - had significant dive experience, diving off five different
continents during the last 18 years. According to his wife, he had also
trekked "nearly every major mountain range on the planet, and lived with
almost every primitive tribe left on earth."
Rubin and Ostrowiecki - both Jewish - had never met before last week's
tragic expedition. But their disappearance was marked by strange
coincidences that have helped family members find strength.
Ostrowiecki was born in Germany to Polish parents who both survived
Hitler's concentration camps. Shortly after his birth, the family migrated
to Brazil, where his 80-year-old parents live today, struggling with the
news of his disappearance.
Rubin - a tough-as-nails educator and philanthropist who spent 25 years
teaching math and science in one of New York's toughest Bronx
neighborhoods - spent much of his time traveling the world with his two
daughters, many times seeking out obscure indigenous tribes with suspected
ancient Jewish ties, his wife said. The family retired to New Mexico 10
years ago.
Ironically, the two disappeared in a dive site known as "Dos Amigos,"
meaning "two friends" in Spanish.
"We are a very strong family," said Sondra Rubin. "Our philosophy is not
unlike the third chapter of Ecclesiastes - unto every season there is a
time. I just don't yet know which time it is for Bruce and Israel."
The divers' disappearance is the second accident on Cocos Island in less
than two years. In January 2002, 38-year-old U.S. diver William Bradley
Hunt drowned during a diving expedition with a different company (TT, Jan.
25, 2002).
In the 1980s, a cruise-ship passenger failed to return from a group hike
through the craggy and thickly-vegetated territory of Cocos. No trace of
her was found.