HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 00:17:25 -0500
 Paul Edwards ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: I just received an email with a virus that NAV caught and quarantined.
: The address list has a lot of HP3000-L names on it. The headers are
: listed below. Watch out!!
:

The email was probably from a PC infected with the Gibe.B worm:

   http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/gibe_b.shtml
   F-Secure Computer Virus Information Pages: Gibe.B

  "NAME:  Gibe.B
   ALIAS: I-Worm.Gibe.B, Gibe_B

   Gibe.b worm first appeared on 24th of February 2003. Is started to
   spread actively on 25th of February. The worm spreads itself via
   e-mail, IRC, local network and P2P (peer-to-peer) networks. The worm
   pretends to be an update from Microsoft when it spreads via e-mail.

   [snip]

   The worm locates e-mail addresses by searching inside MailViews.db
   file and Windows Address Book file. Also the worm tries to look for
   e-mails in newsgroups. It reads newsgroup messages and gets sender's
   e-mail addresses from them..."

Microsoft NEVER sends software via email:

   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/policy/swdist.asp
   Microsoft Policies on Software Distribution

  "...Microsoft never distributes software directly via e-mail..."

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)
  Note: [log in to unmask] is invalid for email