HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 10:28:40 +0100
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>> Subject: Logging a user's commands
>> One disadvantage of this is that the users redo history is not
>> updated with new commands. Does anybody know of a way around this?
>
> working on that, but...
>
>> Note for the security concerned:
>>
>> As is usual when changing from a 'colon prompt' to a 'menu system
>> driven' environment, users
>
> ...and the programmer who paints the box...

Our menu system, written in PowerHouse and donated by the author 'with many
thanks', obtains it's options from an Image Database. It is therefore
dynamic and very easy to configure/use.

>> have a habit of forgetting some of the seldom used (but
>> very important) programs/commands that they need to do their job.
>
> ...which INCREASES the system's security...
>
>> Also, as is usual, this omission will be discovered 5 minutes before
>> my home time on a Friday :(
>
> ...normal snafu - they would have forgot anyway.  also note that
> PURGE *cicmdlog
> quite neatly removes all traces of who dunnit.

The 'cishell' script resides in a group which only allows the user execute
access and therefore can not see what name is used for the command log.