HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:30:04 -0400
I recall hearing an NPR story not too long ago that the Library of Congress
is transcribing a bunch of recordings onto some type of analog media
(LP-like discs or something), precisely because of the fear that current
digital formats will be unreadable in the near future. Not only because, as
you point out, the storage media and playback mechanisms may not last very
long, but the algorithms and meta data for decoding the digital data may be
lost.

--
Tom Brandt
Northtech Systems, Inc.