HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 2

From:
Dennis Hassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 12:52:02 -0400
I first used these in '85, but obviously they were invented earlier. The
first major use I knew about was for the HP264x terminal series and
attached printers, etc. These control sequences allowed a text stream to
perform all kinds of device controls. We see printer controls mostly
today, but some 264x's had two small tape drives and the 2648 had a
graphics display. I suspect there were other things as well. The list of
control codes was extensive, in the 100's.

What has survived today is now referred to as Printer Control Language
(PCL), and I think PCL6 is the most current version.

Dennis Hassell
Dennis Hassell and Associates
(941) 746-4919
(941) 224-3981 - cell