HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Andrew Popay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Popay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 15:03:47 -0400
Ernie,

A few pointers here. I have installed a number of Nike SP20 arrays on our
HP3000 systems.

As was mentioned in a previous reply, depending on your OS version (MPE 6.5
or greater), you may need to upgrade the firmware and flare patch on the
SP20.

I have found the best configuration for the array, in order to use the full
20 discs (if you have filled the array) is to have 7 x RAID 1 LUNs and 1
RAID 5 LUN (across 5 discs), with one HOT SPARE. This will use the full 8
LUNs availabe for the array. We have the RAID 5 LUN as a private volume,
specifically for archives.

You can share the LUNs across the processors/controllers are you need,
there is not a limit of 4 per processor, although it is best to have them
shared for performance.

You havent mentioned what size discs are in the SP20. MPE has a maximum LUN
size of 36Gb, if you are using either 4Gb or 9Gb discs, the above RAID
1/RAID 5 configuration wont pose a problem. If you are using 18Gb discs
(largest available), then you will have to consider how you configure the
LUNs.

You will need to do an INSTALL from your latest SLT, followed by building
the new volumes in VOLUTIL. I would expect this to be done by the vendor
installing the hardware. You will also need to recreate your accounting
structure, including UDC's (normally done via BULDACCT.PUB.SYS), depending
on your BACKUP software, this may take care of it. We use Backup I/X from
Orbit Software (free plug for Orbit), which takes care of this, using the
DIRECTORY keyword.

Something else to consider is the setup of the CACHE memory. We have been
advised that it is best to have all the CACHE memory on the array for READ
(4Mb is taken up by the SP20 system), with no WRITE memory. MPE takes care
of all CACHEING. We found a definate increase in performance when we moved
from 16Mb memory to 64Mb memory (maximum).

I hope this is of use to you, once you have the SP20 configured and
running, they are no problem.

Andy Popay
HP3000 Operations Manager
Hanson Aggregates - UK