HP3000-L Archives

May 2003, Week 1

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:31:11 -0400
 From CNet News:

It's been a year since Hewlett-Packard finalized its acquisition of Compaq
Computer, but analysts and others are still asking whether the whole is
bigger than the sum of the parts.

On the positive side, HP has successfully welded two former archrivals into
a single, functioning organization, according to many. Although some
European operations and the internal computer systems from the respective
companies have yet to be fully integrated, HP has already realized many of
the cost gains the company set out to achieve. The company has also landed
high-profile accounts with companies such as the Bank of Ireland.

"Almost a year after we launched the merger of the two companies, we are at
a point where we have met or exceeded I think every goal that we set
associated with the merger," HP Services Chief Ann Livermore said in a
recent interview. On the integration front, HP is winding down its effort
with only 200 people working on merger-related issues, from some 2,000.

On the other hand, to echo Gertrude Stein, some wonder if there is enough
"there" there to justify the merger. Analysts and critics say HP still has
a long way to go to prove the strategic value of the deal, a question that
has dogged the company since September 2001 when the merger was announced.

Full article at:

http://news.com.com/2100-1014_3-999049.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed

--
Tom Brandt